09 Jun How to register a company in the UK
Thinking of starting a company but unsure where to start? Our helpful guide goes through how you can embark on the process of registering a company within the UK – you may be pleased to know that the process isn’t as complex as you think.
The first step is registering your business with Company House. Most businesses that are set up are registered as one of the following:
- Sole trader – this is when you are personally responsible for all your businesses finances and accounting responsibilities.
- Limited company – whilst you will have to deal with reporting and management responsibilities, if you own a limited company, the businesses’ finances are separate to your own.
- Partnership – this is when two people start the business – you both share the equal responsibility for the business finances and accounting.
Once you have established what type of business you are registering, you will then need to double check the types of licenses and permits you may need to legally acquire. You are also most likely legally required to purchase company insurance, as well.
If you would like to expand your business and become an employer, if you are to hire people in the future, there are some extra steps you need to take. For instance, you will have to:
- Set up payroll
- Pay national insurance
- Provide workplace pensions
Registering your company
To officially apply for company registration in the UK, you will have to register with Companies House and subsequently be registered for Corporation Tax. This can be done on the UK Gov website and will only take a few moments. However, if you wish to start a limited company, then you will need to register by post. You can find all the information you need on the government website.
Registering your company address
If you plan on running your business from home, however you would like to emulate a professional image with a formal business address, a virtual office service may be beneficial for you. Our virtual office services include:
- Registered company address
- Call forwarding
- Exclusive number
- Mail forwarding and handling
- Personalised messaging
- Consultation service
- Use of marketing material
- Open and scan postal services
- Conference room hire
However, although you may be tempted to register your company at home for ease, there are actually a number of reasons why you shouldn’t. Choosing a professional business address, such as Grosvenor House, will protect you for safety and privacy, as well as establish your company as a reputable business that people can trust.
You can register an online office for as little as £25 per month – get in touch to find out about our tailor-made packages today. Or, if you decide you would like to hire an office or book one of our co-working spaces, browse our website today.