07 Nov Office admin 101
Office administrators, or office managers, are responsible for the day-to-day administration tasks within an office. They are usually front of house, there to welcome visitors and handle all clerical tasks to support the wider business.
Like any other conventional office, at Grosvenor House our virtual office and co-working spaces offer a range of office admin add-on services to suit your needs – including a mail forwarding service and professional call handling. These services can provide the same responsibilities as an office administrator, for a variety of businesses and industries.
Office administrator responsibilities
The role of an office administrator is to oversee the maintenance of office systems and the overall workspace to ensure a productive and efficient work environment for team members. Their responsibilities are varied and can include the following;
- Knowing and communicating company operational and administrative procedures
- Coordinate office activities
- Manage itineraries, travel arrangements and appointments
- Ensure smooth running of booking and scheduling meetings & hire rooms
- Manage phone handling and correspondence such as emails and letters
- Sign, post and manage office deliveries and packages
- Track and replenish office supplies and inventory
- Support budgeting and bookkeeping
- Supervise supporting administrative staff and delegate tasks according to priority
- Welcome visitors and guests accordingly
Skills and requirements of office administrators
Depending on the business or industry, some office administrators or managers may require specialist knowledge – though a standard level of core skills is needed to carry out the role. The must-have skills required of an office administrator include;
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Well organised
- Strong ability to problem-solve
- Good attention to detail
- Interpersonal skills
- Strategic planning and scheduling
- Time management skills
- Computer literate
- Numerical mindset
- Experience with office management software
Office admin management tips
Office admin and management can help you use your working day more efficiently and increase your productivity overall. Staying on top of office management can help you develop and strengthen your administrative skills. Below are some top tips to help keep your admin skills in check;
- Schedule your week – make a brief or detailed plan at the start of each week of what is top priority and when it is due out. Remember to keep in mind things may change and you may have to be adaptable.
- Establish a routine – this can be particularly useful when working in a co-working space as it might not have a formal working structure as a conventional office with set lunch and breakfast times.
- Keep an organised space – in any working environment, an organised space can help organise your day. Although this can be tricky when hotdesking, a well-organised virtual desk can do the trick. Ensure all notes are saved correctly for easy access and your desktop is neatly filed accordingly.
At Grosvenor House, we offer virtual office spaces, hot desking and co-working solutions with a wide range of add-on services to meet your administrative needs. Our front of house staff go above and beyond to help make your working-day run as smoothly as possible. Get in touch with us today to discuss our range of bespoke office solutions and modern facilities, book a unique space, and discover why we offer the perfect office solution for your business.